Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mood Tracking

Even if you don't have a mental illness, mood tracking is a way that can help you find out what makes you happy, and what doesn't. These are called "triggers."

When you are mentally ill, there are several different paper forms available to record your moods. This lets a doctor see how you are doing with medications and your lifestyle (exercise, meditation, diet, mindfullness and more play as big or bigger part in your health than medication).

On your smart phone, there is the T2 mood tracker, developed by the American military. It's okay, but not as good as my favourite.

Online, the tool I like the best is called Moodscope. More and more psychiatrists are recommending it to their patients. It takes about two minutes to use every morning, and is fun. It is also very accurate. Here is my graph from July, when I was very unwell (rapid cycling - going from extremely depressed to hypomanic in short periods of time):


...and here is my graph from August - you can see where I received a new medication on August 1st.




...a lot more stable, even if mostly hypomanic. This shows me that I'm getting better. Yay!

Give it a try here. It's free, and fun to use.

Mental note: Find out what triggers good and bad moods for you.

No comments: